The biggest and most significant trends of 2020, poised to grow in 2021

In its latest newsletter, Andreessen Horowitz (a16z) - a globally leading venture capital firm, headquartered in Silicon Valley - shared its views on the biggest and most significant trends that are poised to grow in 2021 and shape the way we do business and consume products and services in our everyday lives.

The newsletter highlights several fascinating trends, some of which including Charting the COVID Effect on Fintech:

Hemingway famously wrote that there are two ways to go bankrupt: gradually, then suddenly. In many ways, the impact of technology on our day-to-day financial choices has followed a similar trajectory. Fintech has been a gradual, but enormously consequential force of change in financial services over the past decade. But the emergence of COVID-19 suddenly catapulted the digitization of finance into overdrive—and scrambled many consumers’ typical budget. Though that leap has frequently been described in the abstract over the past six months, we were interested in portraying that historic shift in tangible terms. - a16z, Charting the COVID Effect on Fintech

How has COVID-19 changed the way you do business or consume goods and services?

We’d love to hear your thoughts - feel free to hit “Reply” and add your comments below :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @Daniel.

It’s interesting to see that some mature industries such as used car sales have benefited as a consequence of Covid-19. Perhaps this is due to more members of the public preferring private modes of transportation in light of Covid-19?

For me personally, Covid-19 has had the biggest impact on my food habits. I now prefer to purchase my groceries online rather than going in-store and I have significantly cut down the number of times I eat out a week. I am also guilty of indulging in furniture upgrades which seems to be a trend that is clearly highlighted in the Furniture chart!

1 Like

@Ahijith, I think a lot of us have found ourselves visiting homeware and gardening stores more often than ever before! haha

I believe the preference for private vs. public transport could be part of the cause. However, another cause could be that people have more disposable income. On average, my personal view, is that people - that I speak to at least - are still working the same or more hours (given no more commute times or boundaries to stop them from working) and have experienced a decrease in discretionary spend -commuting, eating out (those coffees that you buy just to get away from your desk add up!) and no more big international holidays - and therefore have seen that as an opportunity to buy those larger ticket comfort items that we usually would deprioritise in exchange for other expenses or experiences.

In our last investor update, I presented the following graphs showing that despite COVID-19, the Australian Stock market (ASX) was back to all-time highs by December 2020:

Source data: ASX ALL ORDINARIES Historical pricing data, Yahoo finance, 19 January 2021; Parpera analysis

Further, despite COVID-19, new business registrations for sole traders and Australian Private companies continued, showing positive signs of people pursuing the opportunities being presented by the rapidly changing business and social environment:

Source: ABN statistics, as at 31 December 2020; Parpera analysis

some interesting trends there.
Anyone subscribed to that trend.co newsletter / report…?

@joey - do you have a link to the trend.co newsletter / report that you mentioned?

Yeah for sure, this is the one

Newsletter: This is a referral link: https://trends.co/?ref=39413

Sample Newsletter: 2021 Trends.
PDF, on a G-Drive link: The ADU Boom – The Power of Branding – Successful 1-Person Businesses🕴️.pdf - Google Drive

HTH! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @joey , I’ll check them out :slight_smile: