Introducing Jeevika Makani 🎉

We’re excited to welcome Jeevika Makani to our growing Parpera family :heart:

Jeevika will be focused on strategy and operations :rocket: :gear: and joins us with global fintech, early-stage venture, risk, and regulatory experience, spanning Australia, Kenya and the United Kingdom, and recently returned to Australia from Singapore, where she achieved an international MBA from INSEAD (congratulations! :mortar_board: :confetti_ball:)

Jeevika brings global context and local understanding and shares our passion to learn from and bring international financial services innovations to Australia. As Jeevika succinctly put it earlier this week:

In Kenya, a microbusiness can send and receive payments instantly via mobile, while in Australia, we still have to wait… we should be able to do better!

Welcome to our team Jeevika and thank you for joining us on our mission. We can’t wait to build the future of money for businesses with you!

We asked Jeevika to share with our community a bit about her background, why she joined Parpera, and what building the future of money for businesses means for her - here’s what she had to say:

I love working for startups that are using tech to solve problems that matter.

I led operations teams at Fat Llama, a sharing economy platform in London (renting is a win-win: more affordable and better for the environment). Before that, I was based in Nairobi with Lendable, a fintech startup expanding access to capital in emerging markets. I set up and ran their risk management function - turns out vegetable sellers in Kenya and motorcycle taxi drivers in Uganda aren’t as risky as the big banks had thought!

I did my undergraduate studies at the University of Melbourne where I wrote my economics honours thesis on social business and recently graduated with an MBA from INSEAD.

I joined Parpera because its mission resonates with me. I absolutely love the idea of being part of the fintech revolution in Australia. The financial and banking sector here has traditionally been dominated by large players that haven’t always served in the best interest of their customers. I will be focusing on further developing and refining Parpera’s strategy and building out its operations and risk capabilities.

I believe the future of money for businesses is going to fundamentally change with the entry of niche players like Parpera to the market (which is being facilitated by lower entry costs, due to no longer requiring a costly physical branch network and the freedom to partner with innovative third-party providers for technology and regulatory capabilities because we aren’t constrained by legacy systems).

With Papera, I hope to help businesses have a better relationship with their money - make it simpler, more intuitive and hey, maybe even enjoyable!

Please join me in welcoming Jeevika to our team! :raised_hands:

1 Like