I have a branding agency and podcast for small businesses

Hey everyone,

I’m sharing Modular Studio here to get the ball rolling. I have a branding agency called Modular that I’ve started with my brother (and a Bankwest business account we can’t wait to get rid of!) We specifically help consumer businesses create world-class level brands so that they can differentiate from their competition and become deeply relevant to their customer.

I personally believe that small businesses can’t phone it in with their branding, they’re competing for the same attention online as the biggest brands in the world. That’s why we approach branding from a business and marketing perspective, rather than a visual one (unlike many graphic designers that small businesses hire in the early days), we think taking risks and being different from your competition is the only way you are going to cut through in 2020.

We also have a podcast, called Kill Your Logo, that gives weekly branding and marketing advice from an Australian perspective and with ambitious small business owners in mind. We keep things really casual on the podcast (it’s even funny sometimes) and our hope is those business owners who listen to it will thrive instead of struggle because of what they learn on it.

Thanks for checking it out,
Alex

2 Likes

Hey @Alex, thanks for posting, very much enjoyed reading about Modular!

I had a quick scan through your podcasts and will give them a listen! :slight_smile:

I often hear of business owners deferring or minimising marketing spend due to it being a cost that is sometimes hard to measure in terms of immediate benefits realised.

Do you have any metrics or tips for business owners to consider that can help them decide on how much to invest in marketing early on in their business journey?

We’ve found that investment is required to raise awareness or your brand or product well ahead of it’s anticipated launch (i.e. you need to start marketing before your product and / or service is in the market) - However, I imagine the approach differs based on whether you’re providing a product or service and whether it’s targeted at a mass or niche segment.

Keen to hear your thoughts :slight_smile:

Thanks for your support and very happy to have you part of our community! :raised_hands:

There are so many different opinions on even this topic alone.

I think the biggest reason why small business owners are afraid or sceptical of marketing is largely that they can’t track the results. There are lots of things that you can do to improve this though. Step one is creating a customer journey or marketing funnel that has clear stages of customer engagement – the Pirate Marketing (AARRR) framework is good (Awareness > Acquistion > Retention > Referral > Revenue). Knowing what stage of the customer journey your marketing is attacking helps you understand what metrics are important and what success looks like.

For example, I first came across Parpera because of Awareness stage marketing you guys did. A Facebook sponsored post (Awareness), targeted accurately at your specific customer persona. When I clicked that link, you probably had Facebook pixel installed as well as Google Analytics, and maybe even a specific page you wanted me to land on. From there you asked me for my email address to sign up for early access (Acquisition), and at that point you can retarget me with Facebook ads (which is what you did with the raise, I think) and or email correspondence (Retention). Referral and Revenue are still to come because the product isn’t finished yet, but each stage is deliberate and asks the user to do something or complete a transaction (even providing an email address counts as a transaction).

Too often, small business owners don’t use this framework or even know it exists. They struggle to market themselves and waste money on ad spend because they don’t have a clear call to action and a trackable customer journey they can experiment with. I’ve seen digital marketing people bragging about providing “organic reach” (which amounts to sharing memes completely unrelated to the business on their page) and trying to sell that to small business owners. There’s a lot of trashy marketers out there and it’s easy to see how businesses get burned and never want to try it again.

Good digital marketing requires an experimental and deliberate approach to find the right channel and message for your target customer. It’s better to spend small amounts often than a lot of money on an untested campaign that is unlikely to get results. And a good ad won’t help you if your brand (and brand is so much more than your logo) and product aren’t right.

All of this stems from deeply understanding your target customer’s wants and needs – even if you have mass-market aspirations, you need to start by targeting a highly motivated and engaged customer persona; the early adopter of your product or service.

1 Like