Designing Parpera using Jobs-To-Be-Done

We’ve had the pleasure in working with Oliver Mitchell, our friend and fintech product strategist, who recently arrived back to Australia fresh out of the London fintech scene.

With Oli, we’ve interviewed and surveyed over 500 business owners, freelancers, and entrepreneurs to better understand the challenges they face and have identified that Australians specifically want a better solution that makes it easier and faster to:

• Receive money from their customers
  • Manage cash flows, expenses, tax and other reporting obligations
  • Access support, products and services, personalised to their needs

Virtual customer discovery and co-design session — Oli Mitchell interviewing Thomas, one of Parpera’s early signups and community members, to better understand his needs as a tradesman and e-commerce business owner.

Having listened to the needs of the Australian business community, we’re developing a digital solution that will initially provide digital wallet, card, payment, and money management capabilities, to help Australian businesses, freelancers, and entrepreneurs improve the way they do business.

Underpinning Parpera’s approach to product design is the Jobs-To-Be-Done (JTBD) framework.

The JTBD is an innovation theory and framework first coined by the late Harvard professor Clayton Christensen in his book, The Innovator’s Dilemma. It describes a model of behaviour by which consumers buy new products to make progress against specific ‘jobs’ in their lives. For instance, a homeowner buys a BBQ so they can bring friends and family together over meals, not because they have an urgent requirement to grill meat!

For Parpera, we view our product development, not in terms of what features we can offer our members (e.g. a debit card, a line of credit, or an overdraft), but what job we are solving for our customers (e.g. ‘maintaining positive cash flow for my business’). The difference is subtle, but important in how we view our development and how we measure the success of our product.

For example, when considering the introduction of an invoicing feature, we started with the job-to-be-done (“Help me receive money from my clients simply and quickly”), before moving to the services which are required to achieve this job (e.g. reconciliation, notifications, in-app invoicing). Only then did we identify the product features required to bring invoicing to life.

We look forward to sharing more on our design journey and to collaborating with you to better understand the jobs you want to be done better and to shape our future product and roadmap.

1 Like

Hey everyone! I’m Oli and I ran the work that Daniel is talking about! Keen to chat if anyone is curious about our methodology or conclusions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done, I love the jobs to be done framework, has a strong focus on user needs. Can’t wait to see what products it yields. Would be super happy to contribute with feedback, ideas or interviews if you need it @oli or @Daniel, just let me know!

1 Like

Amazing! by the community for the community

1 Like

So, does this mean that for freelancers we could set up something like a reminder to be paid an invoice?
The feature could work like a calendar reminder, where if an amount with reference to be paid to us is paid by a certain date we’d be notified or if not a follow up reminder is generated. Just an idea I had.

1 Like

Awesome visibility on the internal process. Excited to see what falls out of this. It is rare you get to see this process so early on from a company in the financial space. :pray:

1 Like

Great idea @s.b.perry! I often find myself setting calendar reminders to pay suppliers!
We’re seeking to build invoice issuance and tracking features, so will definitely add calendar reminders to the list of features to consider! :raised_hands:
We’ll ensure to reach out to you when we progress our designs on it to get your thoughts on it too! :slight_smile:

Thanks @phil, very happy to hear your feedback. We want our community to be part of the journey and part of building the business and product with us. Please feel free to share any ideas or feedback you have as things come to mind. We’re excited to share the journey with you! :slight_smile:

Hey @oli love this - must have been a serious amount of work! I’m not sure if you are there yet, but it would be really cool to understand how you are prioritising the importance of these Jobs? There’s so many Jobs, how do you know what to build first?!

Hey Ollie - thanks mate!

Hi @ollie.r.parsons yeah I understand your question. Creating a wishlist is easy! Delivering on them with limited resources is the hard part! :slight_smile:

Thankfully right now, the priorities are very easy as there are some core account and payment features that must be delivered. But in the future prioritisation will be more complex. In my experience there is no simple answer, I’ve seen Product ppl designing surveys asking various stakeholders to score the effort, urgency, risk and value etc… of each feature and then start discussions based on that score. But I imagine there are lots of other approaches. I’ve also seen that the question to ask and approach for defining features are different before and after product market fit.

Any thoughts @oli?

Hey @ollie.r.parsons,
Great question! Echoing @Nathan’s thoughts - in addition to the hygiene features that we’d be expected to have (e.g. payments) - we’ve determined our initial target feature set based on the jobs to be done that were identified as most important to the businesses that we interviewed and surveyed, in terms of unmet needs, based on relative importance, and urgency of those needs.
Over time, we’ll continue to test and refine our planned features with the community :slightly_smiling_face:
Apologies for my delayed response, we’ve been busy working away on this at Parpera HQ and will be releasing more on all of this soon :wink: